Table of Contents
Air source heat pump water heaters are becoming increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency and cost savings.
With numerous benefits such as reduced carbon footprint, durability and longevity, minimal maintenance requirements and long-term cost savings they make an attractive investment for anyone looking for hot-water solutions at home or place of work.
- Air source heat pump water heaters are energy efficient and reduce costs compared to traditional heating systems.
- There are three main types of air source heat pumps for domestic or commercial use – commercial, domestic, and hybrid.
- Hybrid air source heat pump models can provide temperature rating from 130°F to 160°F depending on model type and product size specifications.
- Benefits of investing in an air source heat pump include reduced electricity costs, minimal maintenance requirements, lower carbon footprint, increased safety features and long service life.
What Is An Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater?
An air source heat pump water heater is an energy-efficient device that uses electricity to transfer thermal energy from one place to another, providing hot water for home and commercial needs.
Types Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heaters
There are three main types of air source heat pump water heaters: Commercial, Domestic, and Hybrid.
Commercial Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
An air source heat pump water heater can be an ideal choice for businesses that are looking to reduce their energy costs while helping the environment.
|Energy Savings||Air source heat pumps use the ambient air temperature and humidity to extract heat, which is then used to heat water in a storage tank or direct ‘on-demand’ hot water system.The result is considerable savings on electricity compared to standard electric tanks and boilers often up to 80% reduction in running costs.|
|Cost Benefit||Companies that have implemented commercial air source systems have seen significant decreases in expenses through reduced energy consumption while also improving customer experience.Example: British Airways had installed Rheem Heat Pump Water Heaters at one of its airport lounges, leading them to substantially reduce utilities expenses by 50%.|
|Maintenance||Air-source systems also provide further benefits, including minimal maintenance requirements and long life cycles Lochinvar’s system offers 12 year warranty protection against defects on various components such as compressor coverings.So business owners don’t need to worry about dealing with unexpected issues due to lost time resulting from sudden breakdowns nor should they fear hefty repair bill following any damage.|
Domestic Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Domestic air source heat pump water heaters are a type of energy efficient heat pump that can provide hot water to a home using up to five times less energy than traditional heating methods.
Technology Involved In Domestic Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
The technology involved helps reduce the long-term cost for heating domestic areas as well as providing better environmental benefits compared with traditional electric or gas powered water heater alternatives.
Working Of Domestic Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
This is due to its ability to recycle existing warm air from outside instead of generating new heat from electricity or gas sources.
A domestic air source heat pump can also be used year round and doesn’t require refrigerants which means there are no additional installation costs associated with having multiple units installed on different seasons.
Hybrid Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Hybrid air source heat pump water heaters are a modern, energy efficient solution for both commercial and domestic consumers.
They utilize electricity to move, rather than generate heat directly which allows for much more energy efficiency when compared to traditional water heater models.
Heat pumps have an Energy Factor (EF) of at least 2 which makes them extremely resourceful in saving energy costs while generating hot water all year round.
Commercial hybrid electric heat pumps combine advanced technologies from refrigeration such as scroll compressors and variable speed fan motors with high efficiency electric heating elements for additional hot water capacity when needed.
Air Source Heat Pump Immersion Heater
An immersion heater is an important component of a well-functioning air source heat pump water heating system.
It works by transferring energy into a fluid via direct contact with the heated material, typically through the use of metallic tubes or coils that are immersed in the liquid.
The benefits of having an immersion heater with your air source heat pump includes,
- Improved efficiency resulting from more efficient utilization of available sunny days for higher temperature outputs.
- Increased cost savings due to lower electricity bills than standard electric resistance systems.
- Combining both technologies reduces system complexity and improves safety since any potential risk of freezing that may result from inefficient usage can be prevented.
Different Brands Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
The main brands that uses advanced technology for the efficient working of air source heat pump systems are given below:
Popular models like Dimplex Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater, Rheem AirSource Heat Pump Water Heater, Mitsubishi Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater and AO Smith Air Source Heat Pump Water Heaters are each able to provide temperature rating of 130°F-160°F depending on model type and product size specifications.
Dimplex Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
The Dimplex Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater is a premium energy-efficient alternative to traditional water heating systems.
- This unit features a vibrationless design, non-slip base, multiple ventilation options and low noise level operation.
- It is an ideal choice for those looking to conserve energy while still getting hot water when they need it.
- This pump extracts air from the environment and uses that air to heat up its sealed water reservoir inside the tank.
Working Of Dimplex Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
The technology works by extracting available heat (no matter how small) from ambient air into the refrigerant which then circulates through a compressor, releasing this in turn as a high temperature thermal exchange medium before being returned back into the hot coil of carbon steel tanks containing domestic and commercial hot water use applications.
Rheem AirSource Heat Pump Water Heater
Rheem has devised a highly efficient air source heat pump water heater using thermodynamics and electricity to extract thermal energy from the atmosphere and transfer that into hot water.
This technology is referred to as their “hybrid water heating system”.
The key benefit of this design is that it can offer excellent energy efficiency, meaning customers can enjoy cost savings on their monthly utility bills while also reducing their carbon footprint.
- As well as offering great performance, these Rheem heaters are also built to last with superior durability.
- In addition, they require minimal maintenance making them an ideal choice for many homes or businesses.
- Although Rheem’s new version 5 hot water heat pumps have received some noise complaints prompting people to look for alternative brands, the overall reliability of Air Source.
- Plus many users find ENERGY STAR certified models even better suited due its combination of advanced hybrid featuring both gas and solar/electric warmed storage tanks instead of just one type alone providing maximum potential savings in terms of cold months operation costs.
Heat Pump Water Heaters by Rheem remain unquestioned and many environmentally conscious households still prefer them for other benefits such as lower energy use than more traditional electric-resistance or gas tank style models.
Mitsubishi Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Mitsubishi offers an air source heat pump water heater in its product range. This type of hot water system is energy-efficient and cost-effective for both home and business users.
Working Of Mitsubishi Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Unlike conventional electric or gas powered systems, the Mitsubishi Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater uses electricity to move heat from one place to another instead of generating it directly.
The Mitsubishi Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater has earned a reputation for its durability, low maintenance requirements, and reduced carbon footprint enabling customers to keep their bills lower while doing their part for the environment at the same time.
Advantage Of Mitsubishi Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
In addition, when used with other products in TermoPlus® ‘s air source heat pump series, these units can be linked together to allow greater capacity when serving larger space such as a commercial setting, where high volumes of hot water are needed simultaneously.
AO Smith Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
AO Smith is one of the leading manufacturers of residential and commercial water heating equipment, including heat pumps.
The A.O. Smith AHPA-125 is an energy-saving air-to-water heat pump that offers zero emissions for commercial water usage, making it an eco-friendly option for businesses and homes alike.
This model boasts a high Uniform Energy Factor (UEF) up to 4.02 with the 66 gallon unit and 3.8 with the 50 gallon unit, resulting in lower energy costs while delivering hot water year round without compromising performance or comfort levels even in cold climates.
It features an innovative hybrid electric design allowing users to switch between electric and gas power when needed as well as customizable settings that make installation easier than ever before including time delayed start so you can preset your desired temperature.
With its efficient technology, this model provides tremendous savings on both monthly utility costs and money saved provided by its long lasting durability over other models on the market.
Advantages Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Air source heat pump water heaters offer many benefits such as energy savings, cost reduction, lower carbon footprint, and long service life with minimal maintenance requirements.
Energy Efficiency Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Air source heat pump water heaters are incredibly energy efficient compared to traditional models, which can save several hundred dollars annually on electricity costs.
Air source heat pumps move 1kWh of electricity to give you 3-4 kWh of heating power, meaning that it takes three times less energy to produce four times more efficient results for making hot water than with a conventional electric or gas system.
Using an air source heat pump instead of other types of water heating solutions could reduce carbon emissions by approximately 65 percent when compared to regular storage tank electric systems and up to 30 percent when compared with gas systems.
Cost Benefits Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Air source heat pump water heaters offer a range of cost-saving benefits for businesses compared to traditional storage water heaters.
It’s estimated that if all residential water heaters were replaced with this type of technology, total cost savings would amount up to $12 billion (USD).
Air source heat pumps are among the most energy efficient products on the market and can save upwards of $435 annually for a family of five.
Additionally, due to their increased efficiency these units generally require less maintenance over time and tend to have lower operating costs. Furthermore, installing an air source heat pump may be eligible for financial incentives and rebates from local or state entities which could bring down initial costs even more.
Reduced Carbon Footprint Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Air source heat pump water heaters powered by clean electricity are one of the best ways to reduce carbon emissions in homes and industries.
With 3.5-6 times less energy consumption compared with gas water heaters, these systems can help significantly reduce global CO2 emissions.
Air source heat pumps are highly efficient as they extract the outside air’s existing warmth which is then used for providing hot water and heating indoor spaces during winter as well as cooling them in summer time.
The cost savings offered by this household combined with its minimal maintenance requirement gives it an advantage over other electric alternatives, offering maximum return on investment for households too.
For wider implementations however, there may be several obstacles such as lacking insulation or extra costs attached towards integrating underfloor heating that might hinder adoption in the near future.
Durability And Longevity Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Air source heat pump water heaters are a reliable water heating option that provides superior performance, with an expected lifespan of up to 20 years or more.
These models feature high quality materials and components such as corrosion-proof stainless steel tanks and enameled galvanized steel casings for long life.
In addition, air source heat pump water heaters are designed with sophisticated controls that protect against damage from overworking the system.
Air source heat pumps can also perform in cold climates due to their innovative design which allows them to draw energy from outside air even when temperatures drop below freezing point.
Proper use and maintenance can further extend its lifetime; thus, homeowners should practice regular preventive inspections every year to ensure optimum performance of the unit.
Installation And Price Of Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Installation costs will vary depending on location and complexity of setup. Air source heat pump water heaters can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000 depending on the size and type of unit bought.
For instance, a single-phase commercial air source heat pump water heater will be far more expensive to install than a domestic reversible air to water system in the same location.
Factors to consider while installing the air source heat pump water heater,
- When selecting an installer for an air source heat pump water heater project, it’s essential that they have experience with this technology since incorrect installation or connection may cause costly damage and result in significant expense over time.
- Additionally, as most units are installed outdoors, providing adequate protection from rain or snow is crucial in order to protect equipment from damage due to weather conditions.
- That said, proper ventilation must also be taken into consideration during installation because if not properly ventilated these systems stand at risk of overheating which compromises energy efficiency and could potentially lead to serious fire hazard issues.
- In addition, some locations require certification ensuring that all electrical connections are made under certain standards endorsed by local authorities like Neshap or other well-known bodies such as ENERGY STAR International Certification Corporation (ESIC).
Steps To Install Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
The following steps must be followed for the successful installation of air source heat pump water heater,
- Inspect the area of the wall where the system has to be installed.
- Make use of channels to attach the air source water heater six inches above the ground.
- Mount the inlets, drain and gas line to the new system.
- Check the connectivity.
- Test the system by operating it.
Minimal Maintenance Required For Air Source Heat Pump Water Heater
Air source heat pump water heaters boast low maintenance needs. As a result, homeowners benefit from reduced equipment costs, improved efficiency and extended product life.
The design of air source heat pumps allows for minimal wear-and-tear on components such as fan motors or electrical connections since the pumping process does not involve spinning blades or moving parts that are susceptible to becoming inefficient overtime when needing repairs and replacement.
Generally, a basic cleaning every now and then is sufficient in order to ensure maximum performance levels.
Manufacturers will usually suggest monthly cleaning of outdoor components like filters along with seasonal service checks.
This should be done according to their instructions so as to maintain optimal working conditions of the system at all times.
Furthermore, having an annual inspection performed by an HVAC technician or other qualified professional can help identify any potential issues before they turn into more serious expensive servicing needs in later stages.
How Air Source Heat Pumps Provide Hot Water?
- Air source heat pumps work by drawing in air across an evaporator fan at the top of the unit and transferring that to a compressor.
- The refrigerant absorbs heat from this air, raising it through its boiling point before entering a condenser section where coils are wrapped around a copper tube containing hot water.
- Heat is transferred from the refrigerant to the water within these coiled tubes, thereby gradually increasing the temperature of the liquid contained within them until it reaches desired levels.
- This heated water is then pumped around your home as and when required – while cold incoming air is drawn back into the compressor at the same time maintaining the cycle and conserving energy used during the process.
- In order for the system to operate efficiently, all components must be maintained regularly including tankless coil element replacement every five years or so depending on installation environment/usage history etc.
Do Air Source Heat Pumps Require A Hot Water Tank?
An air source heat pump water heater does require a hot water tank if you want to have reliable access to hot water on demand.
A hot water tank provides consistent and stable temperatures of heated water the air source heat pump cannot provide due to its natural fluctuation in temperature due to the refrigeration cycle it runs on.
Hot water tanks come in a variety of shapes, sizes, capacities and styles, all degrees are available ranging from small scale storage options such as 10L or 20L up through larger capacity commercial tanks that can store 500L plus for most industrial applications.
The type of tank chosen should be based upon individual usage needs such as length of shower time needed, number of people using the space throughout various seasons etc.
Some common types used with Air Source Heat Pumps are as follows,
- Open-vented cylinders which allow unfiltered tap into the atmosphere while providing robust insulation.
- Unpressurised thermal stores designed for combination boiler systems lack direct taps but often include immersion heating elements back-up features.
- Pressurized accumulator vessels supplied separately via either a combi boiler closed loop system offering continuous flow showers.
Air source heat pump water heaters offer superior energy efficiency, cost savings, and reduced carbon footprint compared to traditional electric resistance water heaters.The long lifespan and minimal maintenance requirements make air source heat pumps an attractive option for residential or commercial use.
What is an air source heat pump water heater?
An air-source heat pump water heater uses the outside air to heat and transfer energy into a tank to provide warm water. This type of heater has become popular for its ability to save energy and reduce electric bills.
How does an air source heat pump work?
Air source heat pumps use a refrigerant cycle, taking in ambient air from the outside and transferring it through a compressor inside the unit that then warms up a fluid before entering the hot water tank.
Is an air source heat pump more efficient than other types of water heater?
Some models are significantly more energy efficient than traditional tank or tankless gas or electric heated systems since they don’t require burning fuel or heating elements to produce hot water; they just redistribute existing thermal energy contained in the atmosphere around us.
How much will I save if I install an air source heat pump?
Depending on where you live, this type of system may be able to reduce your annual electricity costs by as much as 60%, with many households saving several hundred dollars per year after installing their new appliance.